Excellent experimental facilities exist in the Laboratory for the synthesis, analytical characterization and testing of polymers. The laboratory can provide services related to: (a) Polymerization processes, (b) Characterization of polymeric materials, and (c) Chemical modification of polymers under processing conditions. Moreover, the Laboratory can undertake analytical and consultative services concerning the quality control of the polymers and polymeric products.
The services already provided by the LPRE are the following:
- CAD/CAM OF POLYMERIZATION PROCESSES
- Investigation of polymerization processes in fully automated high-pressure pilot scale units
- Development of advanced software for the design, optimization and control of polymerization processes.
- CHARACTERIZATION OF MOLECULAR PROPERTIES
- Determination of the viscosity average molecular weight of polymers by Ubbelholde Viscometer.
- Determination of the molecular weight distribution of polymers by Gel Permeation Chromatography (GPC).
- Qualitative and quantitative characterization of polymeric and non-polymeric materials (e.g. solutions, membranes, particles and fibers) by Infrared Spectroscopy (FT-IR).
- CHARACTERIZATION OF THERMOMECHANICAL AND OTHER PHYSICAL PROPERTIES
- Thermal analysis of polymeric and non-polymeric materials by Differential Calorimetry (DSC).
- Thermal analysis of polymers and non-polymers by Thermogravimetry (TGA).
- Measurement of molecular diffusion coefficient of polymers by Dynamic Light Scattering.
- CHARACTERIZATION OF POLYMERIC PARTICLES AND EMULSIONS
- Determination of the particle size and drop size distribution by Laser Diffraction Sizer
- Determination of particle size distribution by Dynamic Light Scattering.
- Determination of particle and drop size distribution by Optical Microscopy – Image Analysis (400X-5000X).
- Observation under the optical microscope, sample photographing, digital imaging and advanced image processing.
- CHEMICAL MODIFICATION OF POLYMERS UNDER PROCESSING CONDITIONS
- Investigation of the chemical modification of polymeric materials under processing conditions by reactive extrusion using a Mixer-Brabender Plasticorder.