The Laboratory of Environmental Fuels and Hydrocarbons (LEFH) can carry out collaborative or contract research on applied catalysis and can offer integrated services to the petroleum and petrochemical industry in the following areas:
- Refining Process studies
- FCC catalyst and additives evaluation
- Fuel quality control
- Solids and catalysts characterization
LEFH has been certified with ISO 9001:2015 regarding the quality management system which is applied at the laboratory. You can see the quality policy here.
LEFH has developed unique technology used by many major petroleum companies (BP, EXXONMOBIL, REPSOL, TOTAL, UOP, HELLENIC PETROLEUM etc) for outsourcing key research and technology services in the following main areas:
In a number of bench scale and pilot scale units the following services can be offered:
- High temperature steam deactivation of catalysts (catalyst inventories up to 5 Kg)
- Cyclic deactivation of catalysts with simultaneous metal (Ni, V, Fe) deposition (catalyst inventories up to 5 Kg)
- Cyclic Propylene Steam (CPS) deactivation of metal (Ni, V) impregnated catalyst (catalyst inventory up to 5 Kg)
- Activity and selectivity measurement of FCC catalysts in a short contact time microactivity unit (SCT-MAT), in a short contact time-resid test unit (SCT-RT) and in Advanced Catalyst Evaluation unit (ACE)
- Activity and selectivity measurement of FCC catalysts in a fully circulating FCC pilot plant unit with continuous catalyst regeneration and 9 meters riser.
- Process studies in the FCC in a fully circulating FCC pilot plant unit with continuous catalyst regeneration and 9 meters riser.
Apart from the above described technology, the Laboratory has also developed technology for the evaluation of all FCC additives: ZSM-5, DeSOx, DeNOx and BCA (Bottom Cracking additives).
Evaluation of ZSM-5 additives
Protocols have been developed in the laboratory for deactivation and testing of ZSM-5 additives in ACE, SCT-MAT and in the FCC pilot plant.
Evaluation of DeSOx additives
A laboratory procedure has been developed in LEFH for testing the relative SOx-removal activity of various DeSOx additives. The procedure involves full cycles between SOx adsorption and regeneration of the materials, carried out usually at the conditions of a typical FCC unit.
DeSOx additives can also be tested on pilot scale using the fully circulating FCC pilot plant.
Evaluation of DeNOx additives or CO combustion promoters
A laboratory procedure has been developed in LEFH for testing the NOx-removal activity of various DeNOx additives (or CO promoters). The procedure is based on a fluid bed reactor. The bed consists of spent FCC catalyst and is fed by a mixture of 2% O2 in N2. NOx reduction additives can also be tested on pilot scale using the FCC pilot plant unit.
Evaluation of BCA additives
BCA are very important additives because of the higher amounts of resid added in the FCC feedstock. The technology developed in CPERI for BCA evaluation is based on the units described above for FCC catalysts. The CDU is the key unit for this evaluation (metallation procedure) while the final evaluation is carried out in MAT, ACE or FCC pilot unit according to a specific protocol.