Applied and basic research (experimental coupled with targeted modelling and simulation activities) carried out by our group is designed in the context of holistic approaches to key technological areas. The aim is to make such approaches mature for industrial exploitation while promoting innovative products and processes for sustainable, environmentally friendly and energy and resource efficient power generation for stationary and mobile applications, in line with the principles of circular economy and industrial symbiosis.
Main technological targets:
- Deep decarbonization of energy-intensive industries and long distance transportation
- Carbon capture storage and utilization
- Development of novel combustion concepts utilizing alternative, low-carbon and non-carbon fuels.
- Membrane-based physicochemical processes
- Emissions mitigation and environmental protection
- Exploitation of low cost, non-toxic materials and industrial byproducts for agricultural, environmental and energy related applications in the context of circular economy
Areas of Research & Development
Fossil fuels will remain a major energy source for the power and process industries, as well as for long distance transportation. Decarbonization of energy-intensive industries and hard-to-electrify systems and process can be accomplished through switching to low-carbon and non-carbon fuels and by the integration of post-combustion carbon capture utilization and storage (CCS) in existing systems and processes. CCS combined with plant operation on zero-carbon fuels (incl. biofuels) is one of the few alternatives for Net Zero Carbon Emissions. Integrated solutions for the maritime sector: The maritime industry is facing a unique challenge as currently enforced and forthcoming stringent emission and generally environmental regulations are transforming the ship powerplant by introducing a complete chemical plant including emissions mitigation and control. This has to be dynamically coupled with the main propulsion and power generating modules (increasingly operated with alternative fuels) and the overall ship design. Ship designers and operators usually lack the necessary training and expertise to integrate chemical processes. The Chemical Digital Ship services provide integrated multiscale modelling and simulation tools for the shipping industry including computational materials, component, process and systems simulation, techno-economic, LCA and MCA assessment. The Chemical Digital Ship services target Shipping companies, Shipyards, Classification Societies, OEM Companies, Engineering Consulting Companies.
Membrane technology provides a very promising alternative for post-combustion carbon capture due its compactness, modularity and versatility in terms of materials. The application of membrane technologies for CCS is at its early stages and there are both challenges and opportunities in technology development and deployment for industrial use. Our activities include the following:
- Fundamental development of membrane contactor and permeator technologies in terms of novel materials and processes.
- Detailed evaluation of solvents for carbon capture in terms of process efficiency and materials compatibility
- Development of pilot CCS units at TRL 6 (extending the existing laboratory scale units). The units will be customized to accommodate the varying CO2 contents (and associated exhaust trace species) from different industries. The units will eventually be used not only for development and testing of the CPERI modules but also for testing pre-commercial and commercial modules from industrial partners (service provider)
- Advanced membrane technology concepts will also be pursued at low TRLs such as the use of membrane technology for ammonia decomposition and hydrogen production and the development of advanced systems for combined CO2, NOx and SOx
- Membrane contactors can be utilized for carbon mineralization. CPERI will launch an ambitious membrane-based mineralization program that, in close collaboration with industry, will focus on the i) Development and optimization of combined carbon capture and mineralization process on the basis of industrially available precursors/solvents and the ii) Characterization and customization of mineralization products for industrial use.
- Development of comprehensive chemistry models for LC and NC fuels: Development of detailed kinetic models for conventional and alternative fuels has been an active area of research for more than 40 years that has resulted in comprehensive and well validated mechanisms mainly for hydrocarbon fuels. The proliferation of new fuel molecules and the novel operating conditions associated with several advanced combustion modes has intensified the need for significant research on the combustion chemistry of their utilization. There are significant gaps in the knowledge of combustion chemistry aspects even of small molecules (including H2 and CH4) for (a) high pressure, (b) low temperature, (c) highly diluted (e.g. with CO2), (d) supercritical conditions. Further gaps exist for the effects of key trace species (incl. NOx and SOx), the catalytic effects of metals etc. Particularly important are the uncertainties in the combustion chemistry of ammonia as all current models mostly fail to reproduce its key combustion properties. The objective of this task is a robust computational and experimental infrastructure for the characterization of fuel chemistry through the combination of the following tools: Theoretical ab initio electronic structure calculations for key elementary reactions and species thermochemistry, Determination of fundamental combustion properties such as laminar burning velocities (heat flux burner) and fuel breakdown pathway (jet stirred/plug flow reactors), Development of comprehensive and validated detailed kinetic mechanisms for low-carbon and zero-carbon fuels.
- Development of novel combustion concepts for low-calorific value fuels: In-house and commercial reactors (swirl/stratified burners, porous/foam burners) for the combustion of low-calorific value fuels (e.g. biogas, syngas, etc) at conditions close or below the respective low flammability limits. Highly diluted (CO2, H2O) and simulated EGR conditions. Experimental characterization of flame structure and exhaust gas speciation.
Development and application of multiphysics, multiscale, multicomponent modelling and simulation tools for physical, thermo-chemical and electrochemical processes. Modelling and simulation of turbulent reacting flows through CFD and Reactor Network methodologies. Detailed and reduced order complex chemical network for the combustion, pyrolysis and gasification of gaseous, liquid and solid fuels. Reaction and transport phenomena for flows in porous media. Process modelling of reactive and non-reactive separation processes (solvent based CO2 capture, gas-liquid membrane separation, etc). Process integration through system simulation.
Ceramic materials and reactors for medium to high temperature solar thermochemical concepts aiming at the production and/or upgrade of a variety of energy carriers. Prominent examples include the use of solar heat to drive reversible chemical reactions in the framework of thermochemical energy storage. More specifically, integration of sulfur-based thermochemical cycles into next generation high temperature solar thermal plants and the use of solar heat for driving reversible reactions (redox, hydration/dehydration, carbonation/calcination) for solar energy storage and controlled/on demand release, in the form of high temperature heat.
The objective is to fully exploit the potential benefits of membrane technology in fuel production, energy-related processes and bio-engineering applications (scaffold/organoid development, immobilization of enzymes on membrane substrates). Our main activities focus on:
- Synthesis of polymeric and mixed matrix membranes
- Post-treatment of ceramic membranes with vapour-phase modification methods (CVI, CVD, ALD, c-ALD) for pore size control in the sub-nm range, nano-defects “repair”, selectivity enhancement, surface functionalization, hydrophobization, etc.
- Gas separation applications using commercial or in-house developed polymeric, ceramic or metallic membrane. Typical applications include: i) Post-combustion CO2 capture, ii) O2/N2 separation, iii) H2 separation (e.g. H2/CO2, H2/CO, H2/CH4, etc.), iv) Natural gas and/or Biogas purification, etc.
- Membrane contactors as potential alternatives to conventional processes. Typical applications include: Membrane Gas Absorption, (gas-liquid contactors), Membrane Extraction (liquid-liquid contactors), etc.
- Membrane Reactor applications (where the reaction and separation take place in the same unit), for process intensification and conversion enhancement through equilibrium shift. Typical applications include: i) Methane or Biogas Reforming, ii) WGS reaction, iii) Ammonia decomposition, iv) Dehydrogenation reactions, etc.
- Membrane materials development: Novel design, fabrication and functionalization methods to produce a new generation of porous/non-porous membrane materials (ceramic, metallic, mixed matrix) with improved performance and lifetime at large scale, robust and highly permeable membrane structures.
Deep desulfurization of liquid fuels: Use of commercial and in-house developed highly porous functional materials (e.g. certain functionalized activated carbons) for sulfur removal from liquid fuels (diesel, gasoline) to levels that are not feasible with the aid of conventional methods in refineries. Such processes can also lead to deep de-nitrogenation and partial de-aromatization (removal of di- and poly-aromatics), which are considered as precursors for harmful compounds formation during combustion. Thus, substantial mitigation of the environmental impact of conventional liquid fuels can be achieved.
In the framework of low cost and naturally abundant minerals valorization, our group is active – in collaboration with certain industrial partners and research institutions – in the development and characterization of MgO-based materials with the aim of using them, after certain activation steps, as eco-friendly antifungal and mild plant protection agents. The aim is to contribute to the substantial reduction of currently widely used relevant synthetic chemical products.
Principal Researcher, Chemical Engineer, PhD
(+30) 2310 498198
Principal Researcher, Mechanical Engineer, PhD
(+30) 2310 498143
Chemical Engineer, MSc
(+30) 2310 498415
Collaborating Researchers / PhD
Chemical Engineer, PhD
(+30) 2310 498425
Chemical Engineer, PhD
Chemical Engineer, PhD
(+30) 2310 498250
Analytical & Experimental Equipment
- Autonomous and fully functional lab scale gas-liquid membrane contactor unit setup (equipped with gas manifold, pump, MFCs, online gas analyzers, real time gas flowmeters, modules for ceramic and polymeric hollow fiber membranes).
- Autonomous and fully functional lab scale unit for ceramic membranes characterization (permporometry method), vapour phase modification (CVI/CVD/ALD), single gas permeation tests and multi-component gas separation tests (equipped with MFCs, online gas analyzers and real time gas flowmeters).
- Pilot scale ceramic membrane module (equipped with multichannel microporous silica and titania membranes).
- Autonomous lab scale pervaporation unit equipped with two different type of ceramic pervaporation membranes (hydrophilic for solvents dehydration and organophilic for VOCs removal), for membranes and processes assessment.
- Commercial and in-house developed software tools for chemical reaction engineering, CFD, process and system simulations (LOGERESEARCH, ANSYS FLUENT, gPROMS, ASPEN etc).
- Lab- & pilot-scale fixed bed reactors for liquid deep desulfurization of fossil and bio-fuels.
- High temperature tubular furnace for thermal treatment of samples up to 1200oC and under controlled atmosphere/flow, including mild vacuum operation.
- Access to materials characterization infrastructure including Scanning Electron Microscopy coupled with Energy X-Ray Dispersive Spectroscopy (SEM/EDS), Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM/EDS), Inductively Coupled Plasma – optical emission spectrometry (ICP-OES), X-Ray Diffraction (XRD), Thermo-Gravimetric Analysis/Differential Scanning Calorimetry (TGA/DSC), particle size distribution via laser diffraction, surface area and pore size distribution measurements via liquid nitrogen adsorption/desorption
- Access to fuel typical characterization infrastructure (e.g. sulfur determination, nitrogen determination, distillation curve, aromatic compounds speciation, oxidation stability, heating value determination etc.)
- Typical laboratory infrastructure and equipment (major and minor) for analytical chemistry and other standard services and activities.
Current Research Projects
- CERESiS, ContaminatEd land Remediation through Energy crops for Soil improvement to liquid biofuel Strategies, 2020 – 2024, Horizon 2020, GA No 101006717 (https://ceresis.eu/)
- DeSulfur, Advanced nanoporous materials for the deep desulfurization of liquid fuels via adsorption in mild conditions, 2020-2023, ΕΠΑνΕΚ, Ερευνώ-Δημιουργώ-Καινοτομώ Β’ κύκλος (Τ2ΕΔΚ-01976) (http://desulfur.cperi.certh.gr )
- MemCCSea, Innovative membrane systems for CO2 capture & storage at sea, 2019-2022, ACT ERANET, MIS 5075870 (http://memccsea.certh.gr/root.en.aspx)
- PUREHY, Development of a biogas reformer using stand-alone membrane systems for the production & recovery of high purity hydrogen, 2018 – 2021, ΕΠΑνΕΚ, Ερευνώ-Δημιουργώ-Καινοτομώ A’ κύκλος (Τ1ΕΔΚ-02992) (https://mssg.ipta.demokritos.gr/purehy/gr/)
- RECODE, Recycling carbon dioxide in the cement industry to produce added-value additives: a step towards a CO2 circular economy, 2017-2022, Horizon 2020, GA No 768583 (https://www.eu))
- PEGASUS, Renewable PowEr Generation by Solar PArticle Receiver Driven SUlphur Storage Cycle, 2016 – 2021, Horizon 2020, GA No 727540
EGC-MARAN: Process and CFD Evaluation of the MDM SOx Exhaust Gas Cleaning (EGC) System
SMDERI: Process Evaluation of the SMDERI SOx Exhaust Gas Cleaning (EGC) System
CALIX Ltd.: Investigation of MgO uses for environmental and energy related applications
BTU: Foam burner design and operation
The Research team collaborates with several national and international academic institutions, organizations and industries, such as (indicatively):
Universities and Research Centres
- Imperial College London, UK
- Lund University, Sweden
- Politecnico di Torino, Italy
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany
- Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB), Belgium
- Instituto Superior Tecnico (IST), Portugal
- Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway
- Brandenburgische Technische Universität (BTU), Germany
- Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR), Italy
- Deutsche Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR), Germany
- Fraunhofer Institute, Germany
- National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL), USA
- NCSR Demokritos, Greece
- National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
- University of Ioannina, Greece
- University of Patras, Greece
- University of Crete, Greece
Industries and Organizations
- Shell, UK/Germany
- CALIX Ltd., Australia/Belgium/UK
- Ricardo, UK/Germany
- DNV, Norway/Greece
- Wartsila, Switzerland
- Deutscher Verein des Gas- und Wasserfaches (DVGW) GmbH, Germany
- DBI-GUT GmbH, Germany
- Avantium, Netherlands
- Loge AB, Sweden/Germany
- MET, Lithuania
- Hellenic Petroleum S.A. (HELPE), Greece
- TITAN, Greece
- K&N EFTHYMIADIS S.A., Greece
- Helbio, Greece
- Euronav, Greece
- MARAN, Greece
- Biogas Lagada SA, Greece
- GSAMARAS SA, Greece
- Andreadelli A., Petrakis S., Tsoureki A., Tsiolas G., Michailidou S., Baltzopoulou P., Merkestein van R., Hodgson P., Sceats M., Karagiannakis G., Makris A.M., "Effects of magnesium oxide and magnesium hydroxide microparticle foliar treatment on tomato PR gene expression and leaf microbiome". Microorganisms 2021, 9, 1217. https://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms9061217
- Asimakopoulou A.G., Koutsonikolas D., Kastrinaki G., Skevis G., (2021) "Innovative gas-liquid membrane contactor systems for Carbon Capture and Mineralization in energy intensive industries", Membranes, Membranes, 11, 271. https://doi.org/10.3390/membranes11040271.
- Koutsonikolas D.E., Pantoleontos G., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A.G., (2021) "Development of H2 selective silica membranes: Performance evaluation through single gas permeation and gas separation tests", Separation and Purification Technology, 264, 118432.
- Koutsonikolas D.E., Kaldis S., Lappas A., "Semi-pilot tests of ethanol dehydration using commercial ceramic pervaporation membranes", Journal of Membrane Science & Research, Article in Press, 10.22079/JMSR.2021.130702.1401
- Asimakopoulou Α., Gkekas Ι., Kastrinaki G, Prigione A., Zaspalis V.T., Petrakis S., (2020) Biocompatibility of α-Al2O3 ceramic substrates with human neural precursor cells, Journal of Functional Biomaterials, 11, 65.
- Baltzopoulou, P., Melas, A., Vlachos, N., Deloglou, D. et al. (2020) Solid Nucleation Mode Engine Exhaust Particles Detection at High Temperatures with an Advanced Half Mini DMA, SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 2(2):535-542, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0052. *Selected as one of the very best papers from SAE events.
- Kazangas, G. Skevis, L. Kaiktsis (2020) Effects of NOx-SOx Addition on Methane Ignition: Towards a Kinetic Understanding for Marine Engine Applications. Journal of Energy Engineering, 147, 04021007
- Papaioannou E., Melas A., Zarvalis D., Baltzopoulou P., Konstandopoulos A.G., Nicol G., Zinola S., Di Iorio S., Del Castillo J-C., Burtscher H. (2020) SUREAL-23 project: Understanding and measuring Sub-23 nm Particle Emissions from Direct Injection Engines, Proceedings of 8th Transport Research Arena TRA 2020, Helsinki, Finland (Conference cancelled)
- Tsongidis N.I., Asimakopoulou A.G., Konstandopoulos A.G., Pantoleontos G., (2019) "Transportation and solar-aided utilization of CO2: Technoeconomic analysis of spanning routes of CO2 conversion to solar fuels", Journal of CO2 Utilization, 30, 142-157.
- Malliotakis, N. Leplat, G. Vourliotakis, Ch. Keramiotis, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti, J. Vandooren (2019) "An Experimental and Detailed Chemical Kinetic Investigation of the Addition of C2 Oxygenated Species in Rich Ethylene Premixed Flames". Combustion Science and Technology, 191:2112-2135.
- Leblanc M., Zinola S., Baltzopoulou P., Chasapidis L., Deloglou D., Melas A.D., Konstandopoulos A.G., Tejero A., Zamora D., Amo M., Ruggeberg T., Fierz M., Burtscher H. (2019) "Measurement of Sub-23 nm particles emitted by gasoline direct injection engine with new advanced instrumentation", JSAE20199152 / SAE2019-01-2195, JSAE/SAE Powertrains, Fuels and Lubricants International Meeting, Kyoto, Japan, August 26-29.
- Agrafiotis C., Thomey D., Oliveira L., Happich C., Roeb M., Sattler C., Tsongidis N.I., Sakellariou K.G., Pagkoura C. Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A.G. Pomykalska D., Zagaja M. Janus D. (2019), "Oxide particles as combined heat storage medium and sulphur trioxide decomposition catalysts for solar hydrogen production through sulphur cycles", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 44(20), pp. 9830-9840
- Tsongidis N.I., Karagiannakis G., Sakellariou K.G., Pagkoura C., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2019), "Iron oxide-based particles for high temperature thermochemical energy storage via the elemental sulfur thermochemical cycle", AIP Conference Proceedings, 2126, 210009
- Baltzopoulou P., Kostoglou M., Papaioannou E., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2018) On the Effective Density and Fractal–Like Dimension of Diesel Soot Aggregates as a Function of Mobility Diameter, Emiss. Control Sci. Technol. (2018) 4: 24.
- Fokas, F. Perdikaris, D. Kazangas, G. Skevis, L. Kaiktsis (2018) Development of an Optimized Skeletal Chemical Kinetic Mechanism for Methane Combustion for Marine Engine Applications. Energy & Fuels, 32:10272–10284.
- de Joannon, P. Sabia, G. Skevis (2018) Introduction of the Special Issue on SMARTCATs COST Action. Energy & Fuels, 32:10051.
- Koutsonikolas D.E., Pantoleontos G.T., Kaldis S.P., Ceramic Membranes, Preparation, Properties, and Investigation on CO2 Separation, included in Current Trends and Future Developments on (Bio-)Membranes – Carbon Dioxide Separation/Capture by Using Membranes, A. Basile and E.P. Favvas (eds.), Elsevier, 2018, p.p. 185-207.
- Kastrinaki G. Lorentzou S. Karagiannakis G., Rattenbury M., Woodhead J., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2018), Parametric synthesis study of iron based nanoparticles via aerosol spray pyrolysis route, Journal of Aerosol Science, 115, pp. 96-107
- Ganas G., Kastrinaki G., Zarvalis D., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A.G., Versacic D., Bodoardo S. (2018), Synthesis and characterization of LNMO cathode materials for lithium-ion batteries, Materials Today Proceedings, 5 (14 - Part 1), pp. 27416-27424.
- Pantoleontos G., Koutsonikolas D., Lorentzou S., Karagiannakis G., Lekkos C.P., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2018), Dynamic simulation and optimal heat management policy of a coupled solar reforming–heat storage process, 131, pp. 600-616
- Lorentzou S., Zygogianni A., Pagkoura C., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A.G., Saeck J.P., Breuer S., Lange M., Lapp J., Fend T., Roeb M., Gonzalez A.J., Delgado A.V., Brouwer J.P., Makkus R.C., Kiartzis. S.J., HYDROSOL-PLANT: Structured redox reactors for H2 production from solar thermochemical H2O splitting, AIP Conference Proceedings, 2033, 130010.
- Malliotakis, C. Banyon, H.J. Curran, M. Founti, C.Keramiotis, G. Vourliotakis, P. Koutmos, G. Paterakis, K. Souflas, F. Mauss, J.J Rodriguez, G. Skevis (2017) A Comparative Study on the Oxidation of Gaseous and Liquid fuels in a Swirl Stabilized Flame via Chemiluminescence Measurements. Fuel, 216:826-834.
- Obermeier J., Sakellariou K.G., Tsongidis N.I., Baciu D., Charalambopoulou G. Steriotis T., Müller K. Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A.G., Stubos A., Arlt W. (2017), Material development and assessment of an energy storage concept based on the CaO-looping process, Solar Energy, 150, pp. 298-309.
- Tescari S., Singh A., Oliveira de L., Breuer S., Agrafiotis C., Roeb M., Sattler C., Marcher J., Pagkoura C., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A. G. (2017), Experimental proof of concept of a pilot-scale thermochemical storage unit, , AIP Conference Proceedings, 1850, 090006
- Karagiannakis G., Pagkoura C., Konstandopoulos A. G., Tescari S., Singh A., Roeb M., Lange M., Marcher J., Jové A., Prieto C., Rattenbury M., Chasiotis A. (2017), Thermochemical storage for CSP via redox structured reactors/heat exchangers: The RESTRUCTURE project, , AIP Conference Proceedings, 1850, 090004
- Lorentzou S., Pagkoura C., Zygogianni A., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A. G. (2017) Thermochemical cycles over redox structured reactors, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 42(31), p. 19664.
- Lorentzou S., Dimitrakis D., Zygogianni A., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A. G. (2017) Thermochemical H2O and CO2 splitting redox cycles in a NiFe2O4 structured redox reactor: design, development and experiments in a high flux solar simulator, Solar Energy, pp. 1462
- Sakellariou K. G., Criado Y. A., Tsongidis N. I., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A. G. (2017) Multi-cyclic evaluation of composite CaO-based structured bodies for thermochemical heat storage via the CaO/Ca(OH)2 reaction scheme, Solar Energy, 146, pp. 65
- Sakellariou K.G., Tsongidis N. I., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A. G. (2017) Shortlisting of Composite CaO-Based Structured Bodies Suitable for Thermochemical Heat Storage with the CaO/Ca(OH)2 Reaction Scheme, Energy & Fuels, 31(6), pp. 6548
- Lemontzoglou A., Pantoleontos G., Asimakopoulou A.G., Tsongidis N.I., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2017) Analysis of CO2 transport including impurities for the optimization of point-to-point pipeline networks for integration into future solar fuel plants, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 66, 10-24.
- Lewinski N.A., Liu N.J. Asimakopoulou A., Papaioannou E., Konstandopoulos A., Riediker M. (2017) Air–liquid Interface Cell Exposures to Nanoparticle Aerosols, Methods in Molecular Biology. Vol. 1570, pp 301-313.
- Doss, T.P., Keramiotis, C., Vourliotakis, G., Zannis, G., Skevis, G., Founti, M.A. (2016) Experimental investigation on the influence of simulated EGR addition on swirl-stabilized CH4 flames. Journal of Energy Engineering, 142, art. no. E4015008.
- Karagiannakis G., Pagkoura C., Halevas E., Baltzopoulou P., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2016) Cobalt/Cobaltous Oxide Based Honeycombs for Thermochemical Heat Storage in Future Concentrated Solar Power Installations: Multi-cyclic Assessment and Semi-quantitative Heat Effects Estimations, Solar Energy, 133, pp. 394-407.
- Mandilas C., Zarvalis D., Karagiannakis G., Pagkoura C., Deloglou D., Konstandopoulos A. G. (2016), Zinc-copper oxide coated monolithic reactors for high capacity hydrogen sulphide removal from gaseous streams, , International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 41(46), pp. 21251.
- Mandilas C., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A. G., Beatrice C., Lazzaro M., Blasio Di G., Molina S., Pastor J. V., Gil A. (2016) Study of oxidation and combustion characteristics of iron nanoparticles under idealized and engine-like conditions, Energy & Fuels, 30 (5), pp. 4318
- Sakellariou K. G., Tsongidis N. I., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A. G., Baciu D., Charalambopoulou G., Steriotis T., Stubos A., Arlt W. (2016), Development & evaluation of materials for thermochemical heat storage based on the CaO/CaCO3 reaction couple, , AIP Conference Proceedings, 1734, 050040
- Obermeier J., Müller K., Karagiannakis G., Stubos A., Arlt W. (2016) A Novel Thermochemical Energy Storage & Transportation Concept Based on Concentrated Solar Irradiation-Aided CaO-looping, AIP Conference Proceedings, 1734, 050033
- Pagoura C., Karagiannakis G., Halevas E., Konstandopoulos A. G. (2016), Co3O4-based honeycombs as compact redox reactors/heat exchangers for thermochemical storage in the next generation CSP plants AIP Conference Proceedings, 1734, 050037
- Pantoleontos G., Skevis G., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A. G. (2016), A heterogeneous multi-scale dynamic model for simulation of catalytic reforming reactors, International Journal of Chemical Kinetics Journal, 48(5), p 239.
- Koutsonikolas D, Pantoleontos G., Mavroudi M., Kaldis S., Pagana A., Kikkinides E.S., Konstantinidis D., Pilot tests of CO2 capture in brick production industry using gas-liquid contact membranes, International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering, 7 (2016) 61-68.
- Vourliotakis, G., Malliotakis, Z., Keramiotis, C., Skevis, G., Founti, M.A. (2016) Allene and Propyne Combustion in Premixed Flames: A Detailed Kinetic Modeling Study Combustion Science and Technology, 188:776-792.
- Vourliotakis, G., Skevis, G., Founti, M.A. (2015) Some aspects of combustion chemistry of C1-C2 oxygenated fuels in low pressure premixed flames. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 35:437-445.
- Baltzopoulou P., Kallis K.X., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2015), Diesel Fuel Desulfurization via Adsorption with the Aid of Activated Carbon: Laboratory- and Pilot-Scale Studies, Energy and Fuels, 29 (9), pp. 5640-5648.
- Sakellariou K., Karagiannakis G., Criado Y.A., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2015), Calcium oxide based materials for thermochemical heat storage in concentrated solar power plants, Solar Energy, 122, pp. 215
- Pagkoura C., Karagiannakis G., Zygogianni A., Lorentzou S., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2015), Cobalt Oxide Based Honeycombs as Reactors/Heat Exchangers for Redox Thermochemical Heat Storage in Future CSP Plants Energy Procedia, 69, pp. 978
- Lorentzou S., Karagiannakis G., Dimitrakis D., Pagkoura C., Zygogianni A., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2015), Thermochemical Redox Cycles over Ce-based Oxides, Energy Procedia, 69, pp. 1800
- Tescari S., Breuer S., Roeb M., Sattler C., Flucht F., Schmücker M., Karagiannakis G., Pagkoura C., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2015) Design of a thermochemical storage system for air-operated solar tower power plants, , Energy Procedia, 69, pp. 1039
- Martin S., Kraaij G., Ascher T., Worner A., Baltzopoulou P., Karagiannakis G., Wails D. (2015), Direct Steam Reforming of Diesel and Diesel-Biodiesel Blends for Distributed Hydrogen Generation, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 40 (1), pp. 75-84.
- Pagkoura, G. Karagiannakis, A. Zygogianni, S. Lorentzou, M. Kostoglou, A.G. Konstandopoulos, M. Rattenburry, J.W. Woodhead (2014) Cobalt oxide based structured bodies as redox thermochemical heat storage medium for future CSP plants, Solar Energy, 108, pp. 146
- Mandilas C., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A. G., Beatrice C., Lazzaro M., Blasio Di G., Molina S., Pastor J. V., Gil A. (2014) Study of Basic Oxidation and Combustion Characteristics of Aluminum Nanoparticles under Engine-like Conditions, Energy & Fuels, 28(5), pp. 3430
- Karagiannakis G., Pagkoura C., Zygogianni A., Lorentzou S., Konstandopoulos A. G. (2014), Monolithic ceramic redox materials for thermochemical heat storage applications in CSP plants, Energy Procedia, 49, pp. 820
- Lorentzou S., Pagkoura C., Karagiannakis G., Konstandopoulos A. G. (2014), Thermochemical CO2 and CO2/H2O Splitting over NiFe2O4 for Solar Fuels Synthesis, Energy Procedia, 49, p. 1999
- Roeb M., Thomey D., Oliveira de L., Sattler C., Fleury G., Pra F., Tochon P., Brevet A., Roux G., Gruet N., Mansilla C., LeNaour F., Poitou S., Allen R.W.K., Elder R., Karagiannakis G. et al (2013), Sulphur based thermochemical cycles: Development and assessment of key components of the process, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 38(14),pp. 6197
- Asimakopoulou A., Daskalos E., Lewinski N., Riediker M., Papaioannou E., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2013) Development of a dose-controlled multiculture cell exposure chamber for efficient delivery of airborne and engineered nanoparticles, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 429(1), 012023.
- Gazi, G. Vourliotakis, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti (2013) Assessment of Chemical Markers for Heat Release Rate Correlation in Laminar Premixed Flames. Combustion Science and Technology, 185:1482-1508.
- Gazi, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti (2013) Potential for Implementation of Environmental Management Systems in the Marble Sector. Key Engineering Materials, 548:157-170.
- Keramiotis, G. Zannis, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti (2013) Performance Investigation of Fisher-Tropsch Kerosene Blends in a Laboratory-Scale Premixed Flame Burner. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, 44:868-874.
- Koutsonikolas D.E., Kaldis S.P., Pantoleontos G.T., Zaspalis V.T., Sakellaropoulos G.P., Techno-Economic Assessment of Polymeric, Ceramic and Metallic Membranes Integration in an Advanced IGCC Process for H2 Production and CO2 Capture, Chemical Engineering Transactions, 35 (2013) 715-720.
- Koutsonikolas D., Kaldis S., Zaspalis V.T., Sakellaropoulos G.P.,Potential application of a microporous silica membrane reactor for cyclohexane dehydrogenation, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 37 (2012) 16302-16307.
- Agrafiotis C. C., Pagkoura C., Zygogianni A., Karagiannakis G., Kostoglou M., Konstandopoulos A. G. (2012) Hydrogen Production via Solar-Aided Water Splitting Thermochemical Cycles: Part 1: Combustion Synthesis & Preliminary Evaluation of Spinel Redox-Pair Materials, , International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 37 (11), p. 8964
- Karagiannakis G., Agrafiotis C. C., Pagkoura C., Konstandopoulos A. G., Thomey D., Oliveira de L., Roeb M., Sattler C. (2012), Hydrogen Production via Sulfur-based Thermochemical Cycles: Part 3: Durability and Post-characterization of Silicon Carbide Honeycomb Substrates Coated with Metal Oxide-based Candidate Catalysts for the Sulfuric Acid Decomposition Step, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 37 (10), pp. 8190
- Vourliotakis, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti (2012) Assessment of Fuel Interchangeability in Domestic Scale SOFC Systems Based on a Reactor Network Approach. Energy Procedia, 28:140-152.
- Vourliotakis, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti (2012) Combustion Chemistry Aspects of Alternative Fuels Reforming for High-Temperature Fuel Cell Applications. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 37:16649-16662.
- Keramiotis, G. Vourliotakis, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti, C. Esarte, N.E. Sánchez, A. Millera, R. Bilbao, M.U. Alzueta (2012) Experimental and Computational Study of Methane Mixtures Pyrolysis in a Flow Reactor Under Atmospheric Pressure. Energy, 43:103-110.
- Gazi, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti (2012) Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Assessment of a Typical Marble Quarry and Processing Plant. Journal of Cleaner Production, 32:10-21.
- Wattieaux G., Lecerf P., Meyer L., Boufendi L., Leconte Y., Sublemontier O., Herlin N., Asimakopoulou A., Tsakis A., Daskalos E., Konstandopoulos A.G., Ouf F. X. (2011) On Line Characterization of SiC Nanoparticles Produced by Laser Pyrolysis, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 304 (1), 012021.
- Asimakopoulou A., Daskalos E., Chasapidis L., Akritidis T., Vlachos N.D., Papaioannou E., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2011) Characterization of a Multiculture In-Vitro Cell Exposure Chamber for Assessing the Biological Impact of Diesel Engine Exhaust, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 304 (1), 012005.
- Karagiannakis, C. Agrafiotis, C. Pagkoura, A. G. Konstandopoulos (2011), Post reaction characterization of monolithic substrates coated with non-precious metal oxide catalysts for solar-aided SO3 dissociation, Proceedings of SolarPaces 2011, Granada-Spain, September 20-23, 2011
- Karagiannakis G., Mandilas H., Konstandopoulos A.G., Beatrice C., Lazzaro M., Rispoli N., Pastor J. V., Molina S., E. Ros (2011), Determination of Oxidation Characteristics and studies on the feasibility of Metallic Nanoparticles Combustion under ICE-like conditions, SAE Tech. Paper No. 2011-24-0105, SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, V120-4EJ, pp. 282
- Giaconia A., Sau S., Felici C., Tarquini P., Karagiannakis G., Pagkoura C., Agrafiotis C., Konstandopoulos A. G., Thomey D., Oliveira de L., Roeb M., Sattler C. (2011), Hydrogen Production via Sulfur-based Thermochemical Cycles: Part 2: Performance Evaluation of Fe2O3-based Catalysts for the Sulfuric Acid Decomposition Step, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 36, pp. 6496
- Karagiannakis G., Agrafiotis C., Zygogianni A., Pagkoura C., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2011) Sulfur-Based Thermochemical Cycles for Hydrogen Production: Part 1: Synthesis and Evaluation of Metal Oxide-based Candidate Catalyst Powders for the Sulfuric Acid Decomposition Step, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 36,pp. 2831
- Roeb M., Thomey D., Graf D., Sattler C., Poitou S., Pra F., Tochon P., Mansilla C., Robin J.C., Naour F. Le, Allen R.W.K., Elder R., Atkin I., Karagiannakis G. et al (2011), HycycleS: a project on nuclear and solar hydrogen production by sulphur-based thermochemical cycles, , Int. J. Nuclear Hydrogen Production and Applications, 2 (3), pp. 202
- Vourliotakis, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti (2011) A Detailed Kinetic Modeling Study of Benzene Oxidation and Combustion in Premixed Flames and Ideal Reactors. Energy & Fuels, 25:1950-1963.
- Vourliotakis, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti (2011) Assessment of the Reactor Network Approach for Integrated Modelling of an SOFC System. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 36:6112-6122.
- Koutsonikolas D., Kaldis S., Sakellaropoulos G.P., van Loon M.H., Dirrix R.W.J, Terpstra R.A., Defects in microporous silica membranes: Analysis and repair, Separation and Purification Technology, 73 (2010) pp. 20-24.
- Thomey D., Roeb M., Oliveira de L., Gumpinger T., Schmücker M., Sattler C., Karagiannakis G., et al (2010), Stability of Catalyst Materials & Porous Absorbers for Decomposition of Sulphuric Acid in a Solar Reactor, , In: Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Materials for Energy, Karlsruhe, Germany July 4-8,
- Koutsonikolas D., Kaldis S., Sakellaropoulos G.P., A low temperature CVI method for pore modification of sol-gel silica membranes, Journal of Membrane Science, 342 (2009), pp. 131-137.
- Karagiannakis G. P., Pagkoura C., Zygogianni A., Agrafiotis C., Konstandopoulos A.G. (2009) Materials for sulphuric acid decomposition in solar aided, sulphur-based, thermochemical cycles for hydrogen production Proceedings of SolarPaces 2009 Conference, Berlin, September 15-18,
- Hoguet J.C., Karagiannakis G. P., Valla J. A., Agrafiotis C. C., Konstandopoulos A. G. (2009) Gas and Liquid Fuels Desulphurization for Hydrogen Production via Reforming Processes, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 34 (11), pp. 4963
- Vourliotakis, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti (2009) Detailed Kinetic Modelling of Non-Catalytic Ethanol Reforming for SOFC Applications. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 34:7626-7637.
- Zisekas S., Karagiannakis G., Kokkofitis C., Stoukides M. (2008) ΝΗ3 Decomposition in a Proton Conducting Solid Electrolyte Cell, Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 38 (8), pp. 1143
- Vourliotakis, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti, Z. Al-Hamamre, D. Trimis (2008) Detailed Kinetic Modelling of the T-POX Reforming Process Using a Reactor Network Approach. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 33:2816-2825.
- Kokkofitis C., Karagiannakis G., Stoukides M. (2007) Study of the Water Gas Shift Reaction on Fe in a High Temperature Proton Conducting Cell, Catalysis Today, 127, p. 330
- Kokkofitis C., Karagiannakis G., Stoukides M. (2007) Electrochemical promotion in O2- cells during Propane Oxidation, , Topics In Catalysis, 2007, 44 (3), pp. 361
- de Jager, J.B.W. Kok, G. Skevis (2007) The Effects of Water Addition on Pollutant Formation from LPP Gas Turbine Combustors. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 31:3123-3130.
- Giannopoulos, D.I. Kolaitis, A. Togkalidou, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti (2007) Quantification of Emissions from the Co-Incineration of Cutting Oil Emulsions in Cement Plants. Part II: Trace Species. Fuel, 86:2491-2501.
- Giannopoulos, D.I. Kolaitis, A. Togkalidou, G. Skevis, M.A. Founti (2007) Quantification of Emissions from the Co-Incineration of Cutting Oil Emulsions in Cement Plants. Part I: NOx, CO and VOC. Fuel, 86:1144-1152.
- G. Skevis, D.A Goussis, E. Mastorakos (2007) Understanding Flame Kinetics from CSP Generated Reduced Mechanisms. International Journal of Alternative Propulsion, 1:216-227.
- Asimakopoulou A.G., Karabelas A.J. (2006) A study of mass transfer in hollow-fiber membrane contactors - The effect of fiber packing fraction. Journal of Membrane Science, 282 (1–2), 2006, pp. 430 – 441.
- Karabelas A.J., Asimakopoulou A.G., (2006) Process and equipment design for membrane-based extraction: Basic considerations. Journal of Membrane Science 272 (1–2), 78 – 92.
- Asimakopoulou A.G., Karabelas A.J., (2006) Mass transfer in liquid–liquid membrane-based extraction at small fiber packing fractions. Journal of Membrane Science, 271 (1–2), pp. 151 – 162.
- Karagiannakis G., Zisekas S., Stoukides M., (2005) Effect of H2O Presence in the Propane Decomposition Reaction over Pd in a Proton Conducting Membrane-Reactor, Applied Catalysis A: General, 301, pp. 265
- Konstandopoulos A. G., Papaioannou E., Zarvalis D., Skopa S., Baltzopoulou P., Kladopoulou E., Kostoglou M, Lorentzou S., (2005), Catalytic Filter Systems with Direct and Indirect Soot Oxidation Activity, SAE Tech. Paper No. 2005-01-0670 (SP-1942)
- Zisekas S., Karagiannakis G., Stoukides M., Electrode Polarization at the Pd/Proton Conductor Interface (2005), Solid State Ionics, 176, pp. 2929
- Karagiannakis G., Kokkofitis C., Zisekas S., Stoukides M. (2005) Catalytic and Electrocatalytic Production of H2 from Propane Decomposition over Pt and Pd in a Proton Conducting Membrane-Reactor, Catalysis Today, 104 (2-4), pp. 219
- Zisekas S., Karagiannakis G., Ouzounidou M., Skodra A., Stoukides M. (2005) Polarization Phenomena at the Metal/Proton Conducting Electrolyte Interphase, Ionics, 9 (1&2), pp. 115-122
- A. Goussis, G. Skevis (2005) Nitrogen Chemistry Controlling Steps in Methane-Air Premixed Flames. In K.J. Bathe (Ed.), Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics 2005, Elsevier.
- Sofialidis, O. Faltsi, K. Sardi, G. Skevis, G. Skodras, S.P. Kaldis, G.P. Sakellaropoulos (2005) Modelling Low-Temperature Carbonisation of Solid Fuels in a Heated Rotary Kiln for Clean Fuel Production. Fuel, 84:2211-2221.
- Stavropoulos, A. Michalakou, G. Skevis, S. Couris (2005) Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy as an Analytical Tool for Equivalence Ratio Measurements in Methane-Air Premixed Flames. Spectrochimica Acta Part B, 60:1092-1097.
- Stavropoulos, A. Michalakou, G. Skevis, S. Couris (2005) Quantitative Local Equivalence Ratio Determination in Laminar Premixed Methane-Air Flames by Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS). Chemical Physics Letters, 404:309-314.
- A. Goussis, G. Skevis, E. Mastorakos (2004) On Transport-Chemistry Interaction in Laminar Premixed Methane-Air Flames. Lecture Series on Computer and Computational Science. Vol. 1: International Conference of Computational Methods in Science and Engineering, p. 190.
- Skevis, A. Chrissanthopoulos, D.A. Goussis, E. Mastorakos, M.A.F. Derksen, J.B.W. Kok (2004) Numerical investigation of methane combustion under mixed air-steam turbine conditions – FLAMESEEK. Applied Thermal Engineering 24:1607-1618.
- Karagiannakis G., Zisekas S., Stoukides M. (2003) Hydrogenation Of Carbon Dioxide On Copper In an H+ Conducting Membrane-Reactor, Solid State Ionics, 162-163, pp. 313
- Zisekas S., Karagiannakis G., Marnellos G., Stoukides M. (2001) Study of ammonia decomposition in a proton conducting solid electrolyte cell,. Ionics, 8 (1&2), pp. 123
- Karagiannakis G., Zisekas S., Stoukides M. (2001) Hydrogenation of Carbon Dioxide over Pd in a Double Chamber Proton Conducting Cell-Reactor at Atmospheric Pressure, Ionics, 8 (1&2), p. 118
- P. Lindstedt, G. Skevis (2000) Molecular Growth and Oxygenated Species Formation in Laminar Ethylene Flames. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 28:1801-1807.
- Marnellos G., Karagiannakis G., Zisekas S., Stoukides M. (2000) Ammonia synthesis at atmospheric pressure with the aid of solid state proton conductors, Studies in Surface Science & Catalysis, 130, pp. 413
- Athanasiou C., Karagiannakis G., Zisekas S., Stoukides M., Electrode Polarization at the O2(g), Pd/YSZ Interface, Solid State Ionics, 2000, 136-137, pp. 873
- P. Lindstedt, G. Skevis (1997) Chemistry of Acetylene Flames. Combustion Science and Technology 125:73-137.
- P. Lindstedt, G. Skevis (1996) Benzene Formation Chemistry in 1,3-Butadiene Flames. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 26:703-709.
- D. Thomas, A. Bhargava, P.R. Westmoreland, R.P. Lindstedt, G. Skevis (1996) Propene Oxidation Chemistry in Laminar Premixed Flames. Bulletin des Societes Chimiques Belges 105:501-512.
- P. Lindstedt, G. Skevis (1994) Detailed Kinetic Modelling of Premixed Benzene Flames. Combustion and Flame 99:551-561.
- P. Lindstedt, G. Skevis (1994) Formation of Aromatic Compounds and Soot in Flames. Proceedings of the 207th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Division of Fuel Chemistry, Vol.39, No 1, p.147.
Chapters in Books
Liquid Biofuels: Bioalcohols, Biodiesel and Biogasoline and Algal Biofuels In (M. Lackner, F. Winter, A.K. Agarwal, J.S. Lighty, Eds.) Handbook of Combustion Vol. 3, Wiley-VCH, 2016
Biodiesel and Bioalcohols. In (M. Lackner, F. Winter, A.K. Agarwal, Eds.) Handbook on Combustion Vol. 3, Wiley-VCH, 2010
Special Issue on "Low- and Zero-Emission Combustion Technologies for the Decarbonization of Maritime Transport" in Applied Sciences (2021) (G. Skevis, A. Asimakopoulou)
Special Issue on “1st International Conference on Smart Energy Carriers – SMARTCATs COST Action” in Fuel (2020) (G. Skevis)
Special Issue on “SMARTCATs COST Action” in Energy & Fuels (2018) (G. Skevis)
Doctoral Dissertations and Diploma Thesis
Supervision and co-supervision of 12 PhD theses in Greece, Germany and Sweden
In Progress or Completed
- Nanousis (2016) "Design of a Novel Cyclonic Gasifying Unit for Biomass Gasification Using CFD Tools", International Hellenic University
- Markogiannaki (2017) CFD Simulation of Natural Ventilation of an Indoor Aquatic Center", International Hellenic University
- M. Balpetek (2019) "Experimental Investigation of a Novel CO2 Capture and Utilization (CCU) Concept", International Hellenic University
- Lazaridou (2020) "Numerical simulation of heat transfer processes in grapes drying", Agricultural University of Athens
- Baert (2020) "Experimental investigation of a novel CO2 Capture and Mineralization concept", International Hellenic University
- Piperidou (2020) "Experimental investigation of CO2 capture concepts for maritime applications", International Hellenic University
- Pachidis (2021) Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Chemical Engineering Department.
- Tzima, University of Ioannina, Department of Biological Applications and Technologies, Laboratory of Biotechnology, ongoing
- Bintoudi, International Hellenic University, ongoing